Thursday, October 7, 2021

THE MUSHROOM RING

 

Never doubt the old wives tales orated by your grandmother.

Oh yea, especially the ones about fairy rings!

Seamus Obrien


(RLJ)




(7)


THE MUSHROOM RING

(Harrisonburg, Virginia)


"Nanna" Patty was very old school, all the way up to her death 3 years ago.

She was full on a Celtic lady and lived much of her life in the old ways.

Her cooking, her command of the language and her love of old fairy tales entertained me.

I miss her so much and I never leave the house without her whisperings in my mind.


I am writing these words down on paper right now so as not to lose my clarity.

I just saw something out in my back yard garden that shocked me a little.

Nanna loved to tell me wild old country tales of Fairy Rings... 

And of the bad things that could happen if you stepped inside of one.


To me, those were tales to make me think and scare me straight.

I never believed that mushrooms would grow in a perfect circle formation.

And if you stepped in a Fairy Ring, you would have to dance yourself to death.

Or, other gruesome demonic made consequences of not watching where you step.


Well, a few minutes ago, I was about to pick a few garden tomatoes and... 

Oh, my god... on the other side of the gate... right in my path were white mushrooms.

They were were right there... in my path... 34 small mushrooms in a 2 foot across circle.

And... I almost stomped my right foot right inside of the circle... holy crap!


So, anyway, I am going to stop right here on this writing pad.

Darla, my lovely wife, is at work and I'm not going to bother her.

I'm going back out to my garden and investigate this weirdness!

And, yes, I will have my "Nanna's" many cautionary words in my brain as I investigate.


Oh boy, wish me luck...


Seamus Obrien


(RLJ) 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment