Sunday, October 17, 2021

UNDER THE OLD OAK TREE

 Childhood friends reunite as adults!

They both share a very strange secret from their childhood past!

And at least one of them wants to dig... Under The Old Oak Tree!


RLJ




(17)

UNDER THE OLD OAK TREE


Hey Hamilton... it was great seeing you at the gas station last week. I am truly happy we exchanged our email addresses and phone numbers. The fact that we haven't seen each other in over 30 years is straight sad. I should have made a better effort at keeping in contact, but life has a way of making time shift in what seems like a blink of an eye.

I did not tell you that I still live in my childhood house. Mom and dad passed away about 4 years ago and they willed the house to me. Being an only child, like you are, means that everything associated with this house is up to me to take care of. And so, I decided to move back in this house to take care of it and to watch over the thing in the back yard that used to obsess, and frighten, us as kids.

That's right, Hamilton, the old oak tree is still out back and it is even larger and louder than it was when we were kids forced to go out back and play when your mom, and you, came over for them to visit and gossip.

The voices are still whispering from under the old oak tree. You and I thought it was weird and a little scary when we were kids, but I never took it seriously. To me, the sounds simply were creepy earth noises. I remember you basically thought the same thing. And when you moved away, I thought the sounds would go away, but they didn't.

During my high school years, I became too busy to go out to the tree and place my ears to the tree roots to hear the sounds. And during my 5 years of college, I simply forgot the oak tree and whispers. By the time both of my parents had died, and I finally moved my family into the house, I slowly began to be drawn back to the oak tree. And now the whispers are full on words and some of the things said are a very disturbing.

Hamilton, there are ghosts or spirits or something down there among the roots of the oak tree... and they are asking for both of us to dig down into the earth around the tree roots so that they can have peace. Ultimately, I don't know what that means. But I want to find out. Oh, and they are calling for us by our names.

So, I hope you will write me back and tell me what you think about my missive. I am going to start digging in a couple of days. I am not going to bother you by calling you. I only hope you are interested in what I've stated here. 

I am going to find out what is UNDER THE OLD OAK TREE!


Sincerely, your friend Greg Jones


(RLJ)




No comments:

Post a Comment